The Interdepartmental Postgraduate Programme «Energy Technologies and Sustainable Design» (IPP-ETSD) offers specialization in the discipline of Energy Technologies within the frame of Sustainable Design. The interdisciplinary nature of the Master’s Program gives the opportunity to students to come into contact with subjects from a wide range of scientific backgrounds and work with fellow students of different disciplines to develop synergies and complementarities for achieving common objectives. Graduates of the program can thus gain a more comprehensive and multidisciplinary training in such a diverse subject area such as Energy
Feasibility and Goals
The key objectives of the IPP-ETSD program of the Faculty of Engineering are:
- the proper preparation of the engineering-scientists graduates so that they can successfully address current energy challenges and demands, both nationally and internationally, and
- the acquisition of a unified interdisciplinary scientific training and understanding in a wide range of energy topics, through the framework of sustainable design.
Through the versatile education offered to students, the concept of Energy itself as well as its storage, distribution and utilization is studied in a way that is consistent with modern concepts of sustainability and energy saving.
Moreover, students have the opportunity to work as members of a multidisciplinary team for the development of a complex large-scale project that requires multidisciplinary collaboration, reflecting the background of the four participating Departments of the Faculty of Engineering. This activity will help students to obtain a common background necessary for the implementation of the projects in real conditions, in which, knowledge of basic principles relating to all disciplines is necessary. Furthermore, the perception of teamwork and holistic view of a project is cultivated, in order to achieve the greatest possible synergies in sustainable design and energy efficiency.
The IPP-ETSD is offered by the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Cyprus since September 2010. In this postgraduate program all the Departments of the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Cyprus are involved (in alphabetical order):
- Department of Architecture (ARCH): the participation of the Department of Architecture in the interdepartmental postgraduate program aims at developing critical thinking through the review and evaluation of the broader concept of sustainability in the built environment. Specific courses of technological emphasis offer expertise in related topics of consolidated and environmental design of buildings in various building scales, from the general building scale up to the construction detail.
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE): the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers through this interdepartmental program the opportunity for research and education with aim the transition from the present energy consuming building environment to a sustainable building environment based on the combinations of high energy efficiency of buildings, utilization of renewable energy sources and energy saving, for optimum human comfort and environmental protection.
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE): the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering is involved with research, teaching and technological development in critical areas of energy technologies and energy systems design, with main emphasis on efficiency, optimal and safe operation of electric power grids, but also on study and research in renewable energy sources and their integration in the energy balance.
- Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (MEE): the Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering offers the possibility to persons that are involved or will be involved with ‘green’ generation systems, storage and energy saving, to deepen their knowledge in basic theoretical and practical issues as well as to get informed for the latest technological developments in this field.